6 Reasons Why Localization QA + Testing is So Important
It is the role of the localization quality assurance (QA) and testing teams to assure the suitability of a localized software product for local markets. Good localization testing ensures global products are of high quality in all target markets, correcting “bugs” or errors that may have been introduced in the localization process. The testing process linguistically, functionally, and culturally validates each localized product.
Many leading technology firms see localization as a competitive advantage. In a crowded market, global software users have access to a wide range of products. If something doesn’t work or the user experience is not flawless, they’ll quickly switch to a product that meets their needs. In today’s world of social sharing, users are very vocal about having a bad user experience, which can negatively impact a brand.
Localization QA and testing teams must ensure users have the same accurate and enjoyable experience in all markets, whilst retaining what is central and core to the product and brand. A good software localization QA and testing program will understand world readiness scenarios and have regional and cultural insights into all targeted users.
Here are six reasons why good localization QA and testing is so important:
- Internationalization, translation, and localization occurs before testing takes place. Testing identifies any bugs or errors that may have been introduced in these processes.
- Testing guarantees locale-specific characters appear correctly including dates, holidays, numbers, currencies, names, and salutations. Software products being localized for Asian markets must be able to handle complex characters that could impact factors like text expansion, cut off words, and misaligned menus.
- Specialized testing teams consider cultural factors such as color and representation of ethnicity to ensure the user experience feels local and not too generic. Culture impacts how people think and therefore how they use software.
- Elements of software products or updates will vary across multiple geographies but the objective is to retain and deliver a global concept. Testing ensures localized versions are consistent with the source product and stay true to the original brand promise.
- Linguistic translators may work with strings in an isolated source file. Testers can then ensure that the context and flow of each localized product works for each user. In-context review focuses more on quality and experience, rather than functionality.
- Many software products are released to world markets simultaneously, for every feature and fix. Good testing and validation must mirror that speed and agility to ensure high quality products are launched on time in every country.
Welocalize supports many leading technology brands with high quality multilingual quality validation and testing services. Our global QA and testing teams are located in secure testing labs located in Portland, Oregon, Haryana, India, and Cluj, Romania.
For more information on Welocalize QA and Testing services, contact us.