Role: senior translator
Location: Beijing, China
Date Posted: 2/21/2014
Welocalize, Inc., founded in 1997, offers innovative translation and localization solutions helping global brands to grow and reach audiences around the world in more than 125 languages. Our solutions include global localization management, translation, supply chain management, people sourcing, language services and automation tools including MT, testing and staffing solutions and enterprise translation management technologies. With over 600 employees worldwide, Welocalize maintains offices in the United States, UK, Germany, Ireland, Japan and China.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
The Senior Translator’s primary purpose is to ensure that the expected level of translation quality is secured and the product delivered to the client is fit for purpose at all times.
Major responsibilities will include:
- Own the quality of one or more dedicated account(s) or projects and/or own the quality of small accounts/projects as assigned by the Lead Translator/Team Lead/Delivery Manager.
- Perform on‐demand and planned translation, post‐editing, review, quality control for one or more dedicated accounts.
- Perform any translation related tasks ‐e.g. client review implementation, LSO, etc (including all required Admin Prod tasks).
- When additional resources are required to deal with larger volumes within deadlines take ownership of the overall quality output of the group.
- Discuss project issues, such as problems with deadlines, with the Lead Translator (if applicable)/Team Lead/Language Project Manager in a timely manner.
- Manage, maintain and communicate/distribute the language materials (glossaries, TMs, How‐to documents, etc.) either from Welocalize or from the client.
- Manage project related queries.
- Analyze client negative feedback and assist with remedial action plans.
- May communicate with client reviewer.
- Centralize product expertise and knowledge according to customer expectations and act as key product point of contact of the language for dedicated account(s).
- Test and qualify new vendors/freelancers as required.
- Collect client feedback and updates and distribute material to all translators/vendors involved.
- Monitor customer feedback and vendor performance.
- Inform the Project Manager of progress status as required and show initiative to solve quality and deadline issues in a timely manner.
- Advise on resource selection upon request, taking into account previous experience and short‐term and long‐term needs.
- Achieve the goals set by the Delivery Manager and the global account team.
- Bachelor’s degree in English (or above), TEM‐8, or Bachelor’s degree in other majors (or above) with CET‐6.
- Certificate of English Translation: CATTI Level II is a plus.
- Native‐speaker of Simplified Chinese and good at English, both written and spoken, in a wide range of registers, from formal to colloquial.
- Experience in localization (>= 5 year, proven track record as Translator is a plus).
- A thorough understanding of the entire localization process, covering software, help and documentation with a good working knowledge of the linguistic skills and localization tools (such as Trados, SDLX, Idiom etc).
- Extensive creative translation experience (newsletter, advertisement, PPT notes etc) in marketing contents with related technical background.
- Ability to manage large volumes and coordinate among all resources to deliver jobs on schedule.
- Knowledge of Translation Management Systems (TMS) and good understanding of Machine Translation (MT) engines and MT Post‐editing, is a plus.
- Good understanding of different file formats and the usage of tags.
- Good logical thinking.
- Open towards innovative solutions.
- Results driven work ethic with high energy and enthusiasm levels.
- Ability to review localized content from the customer point of view.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills. Ability to give clear, concise and constructive feedback.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Demonstrable experience in development of processes and ideas.
- Team player and team builder with the ability to problem‐solve and show initiative.
- “Can do” attitude.